“Adoption is two sides of a single coin. One side is a gift. The other side is sacrifice.”
At twenty-one, Mary Hodder Ross was a promising young student, the first in her family to attend university, and unexpectedly pregnant. In this poignant memoir of love and sacrifice, Ross opens up about the impossible choice to give up her child in secret and the impacts of this difficult decision on the decades that followed.
Exploring the complexities of motherhood and the weight of secrecy and silence on our families, Ross shares her journey to overcome lingering shame and speak her truth after a lifetime of silence. Heartbreaking, inspiring and ultimately uplifting, An Unnatural Choice is a powerful story of self-acceptance.
Richly written and deeply empathetic, Ross’ experiences will resonate with anyone who has struggled to come to terms with life’s most challenging decisions and find the empathy required to live with honesty and compassion.
Points of Interest
- Beautifully written, compelling memoir: An Unnatural Choice is an exceptionally well-written memoir, with deep literary merit. Intimate and stirring from page one, An Unnatural Choice invites readers to experience Ross’ story with wit, courage and charm.
- Encourages other birth mothers to make space for themselves and their trauma: An Unnatural Choice offers women who have experienced similar situations the chance to grieve, heal and find the courage to share their own stories without shame.
- Soundly debunks the myth of the “uncaring” birth mother: In opposition to the perception many people have about why birth mothers give up their children—which may be for socio-economic or health reasons, gender identity, age or living status, or many other reasons – An Unnatural Choice shows the incredible bravery many of these women show in trying to choose the best future for their child.
- Remarkable story of recovery and redemption: Mary Hodder Ross unflinchingly looks at her own pain and regret, while masterfully maintaining a sense of a hopeful future. An Unnatural Choice is an inspiring, heartwarming read for anyone who has considered their family history and context.
- Speaks to living authentically: The author’s bravery to speak her truth, share a painful period in the past and decision to build happiness for the future all provide succour for readers looking to be reignited in their own lives and to share their essence—whatever it may be.
MARY HODDER ROSS was born and raised in Newfoundland, the place she will forever call home. She has been a writer of poems, a teller of stories and a lover of all things written since she was old enough to hold a pen over paper. This is her first book. She lives in Vancouver, BC, with her husband Blaine and currently works as a consultant in post-secondary education.